Salted New Belgium Abby- Caramel Pecan Ice Cream
- 1 12-ounce bottle New Belgium Abby
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Bring New Belgium Abby to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Once cool, whisk in yolks and milk. Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan; set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, reduce heat to medium-low, then let sit undisturbed until the mixture begins to turn amber, about 10 minutes. Stir in the butter and salt. When the butter is melted, add warm cream. Whisk a half cup of the cream mixture into the yolk mixture; whisk until completely combined; repeat once. Whisk the yolk mixture into the pot with the remaining caramel. Place a strainer over a large bowl.
3. Cook the custard over medium-low, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula; after the first two minutes, stop every 30 seconds or so to let the custard settle. When the mixture bubbles in the slightest (no more than 5 minutes), remove from heat and immediately pour through the strainer into the bowl; whisk in the vanilla. Chill until cold.
4. Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions, adding the pecans just before the cycle completes. Freeze until firm.